Thursday 22 April 2010

Which weight will it be?
(There's always an alternative)

I came across these photos the other day and I just love them! Obviously I want to share them with you, but feel they need to be accompanied by either a humorous story (lightweight) or life enhancing message (heavyweight).

So now you know how I come up with some of my posts - love a picture, then tell a story. It also goes the other way - love a story, then find (or create) a picture. I find this way (photo first) infinitely more intriguing (and challenging) as even I don't know where it's going.

So which weight will it be today? Hmmm, let's see...

The main photo was taken in January 2009, when I was snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef off the coast of Port Douglas. The stylish all-in-one Lycra outfit I'm donning is called a stinger suit, and is mandatory sea attire during 'stinger season' (October - April).

Stinger is the colloquial name for the potentially lethal Box Jellyfish that inhabit the reef. Their excruciating venom can kill victims if they're not immediately treated after being stung.

The smaller (round) photo was taken in 1998 when I was learning to SCUBA dive in our Fijian resort swimming pool. As it turned out, I wasn't able to equalise in one of my ears and consequently was never given the green light to dive (I have since discovered ear candling and plan to have another go).

Whilst I was frustrated over not being able to SCUBA dive, I realised there are other ways to explore the beauty of our underworld. Glass bottomed boats, underwater scooters and snorkeling are just some of the alternatives one can choose from.

I fell in love with snorkeling over coral reefs, which I'm fortunate to have experienced in Fiji, Jamaica, Thailand and of course, our great Great Barrier Reef. Despite the odd duck dive or three, I particularly like floating above the reef and colourful fish. When I'm totally relaxed I go into a meditative state, giving me an odd sense of flying. I could do it for hours, days and quite possibly weeks.

Finding alternatives is how we appease ourselves (lightweight) or conquer the limitations we face in our lives (heavyweight). Some of the most inspiring stories I have seen are of people with disabilities, disfigurements and disadvantages who have done the seemingly impossible by employing alternative means. For those of you who are up for a bit of heavyweight inspiration, please see the video below. Amazing.

Looks like my photos became lightweight approach in sending a heavyweight message.

Until tomorrow, may you find an alternative to whatever is limiting you - no matter whether it's lightweight, heavyweight or a little bit of both.

Grace xx

PS. This video makes my inability to equalise seem somewhat insignificant, yet the point remains the same - there's always an alternative.



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Cool underwater photo. Your pictures are great. Lindy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...