Monday 26 April 2010

Virtual Shrink's Couch

Project Grace 2010 is turning out to be somewhat cathartic and as a result, I've been receiving a number of phone calls and emails from loving, caring friends checking in on me and making sure I'm okay.

I am okay.

Thank you.

Rather than explain myself a dozen times, I've cut and paste a response that I wrote earlier today to my friend (and No.1 commentator) Garrie...

What I'm finding is that once I've externalised my 'issues' by posting it on my blog, a miracle happens - it stops festering in me.

This whole blogging exercise is like an emotional purge and when it comes out - it's out for good.

Every sensitive topic that I've covered no longer causes pain when I think about it. I don't even want to talk about it anymore. I have literally said to people in conversation, "I really have no desire to recount the story, if you want to know details go to the post titled..."

I could never have anticipated how profound the experience of blogging would be in resolving issues of the past. What I'm finding is that I don't want to point fingers or blame people. I want to share my experiences, how they've impacted me and ultimately - I just want to be heard.

Isn't that the reason we visit counsellors? To be heard? Has my blogging turned into a virtual shrink's couch (VSC)?

The interesting thing about my daily visit to the VSC is discovering that I am not alone. By openly sharing my experiences and how they've shaped me into who I am, I'm learning that so many of us are shaped by similar experiences. We are more alike than I'd ever imagined.

Until tomorrow, thank you for lending me your ears, allowing me to be heard and making me realise I'm not a freak.

Grace xx

PS. You know the emotional blind pimple I was talking about yesterday? Well, it's not quite ready, so if you wore your raincoat today, make sure you've got it nearby tomorrow. Who knows when this baby is going to pop.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. You are your own expert, and a very good shrink will not give advice, but allow you the space (and occasionally ask a challenging question) for you to come up with your own answers. All hail the blog! A lot cheaper than therapy let me tell you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jodi... might buy myself a pair of new shoes with the money I saved ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...