Tuesday 13 April 2010

The fabric of life

Why do we celebrate birthdays and anniversaries every year?

Granted, there are some cultures that don't celebrate them, however I can only speak for myself and on behalf of those like me.

What is it that we are really celebrating?

As years go by, I care less for gifts and more about those I choose to share these celebratory times with.

To me, these annual celebrations are a cause for reflection. It's like stopping midway trekking to look back and see how far you've come. It's not about reversing or dwelling in the past, a few pensive moments are quite enough.

I love to create experiences where we can (justifiably) put our world on pause and fully indulge in the present for such occasions. By creating special moments, we honour the historical happenings of our lives.

We are no less important than those we dedicate a minute's silence to.
Remember that.

We're often reminded to stop and smell the roses - but in reality, how many times do we do that? Our annually recurring celebrations are wonderful opportunities to pencil in some time for ourselves and those we love. If we can't stop to do that, then we really are walking past the most fragrant rose garden without taking so much as a sniff.

Since I started purposefully creating special moments in honour of celebrations, I have noticed that with each passing year the memories become cumulative.

It's like decorating a piece of fabric with beaded embroidery. Each day is a stitch and on the 365th needle, a new sparkly bead is added. While each bead is beautiful in its own right, it's their clustering that make them really spectacular. What's lovely is that they're all joined by a common thread - and that is the fabric of our lives.

Until tomorrow, may you continue to decorate your fabric and infuse it with the sweet perfume of roses.

Grace xx

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I also care less for gifts as the years go by. I much prefer an experience together such as a night out at the theatre or movies or a picnic in the hills to share.
    I often give these sorts of gifts to those close to me in the hope that they will return the favour when my birthday comes around. Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analogy comparing days to beads and the cumulative effect of time, the end result/bigger picture, being spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love win wins Anne!

    And yes, Garrie, we are an intricate work in progress.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...